Safe drinking water. Food. Housing. Education. Health Care. Safety. We often take for granted these fundamental needs, yet hundreds of millions of people around the world don’t have access to these basic human rights.
AECOM is committed to leading the industry in environmental, social and corporate governance (ESG). Our approach is inspired by you — our employees — who make a positive and tangible impact in communities around the world. In honor of Human Rights Day on December 10, we encourage you to join AECOM in building a Blueprint for a Better World. Together, let’s make the world a better place for future generations.
Here are five steps you can take to become a champion for human rights.
- Educate yourself. Research and learn about human rights issues around the world. Bookmark sources that share objective information and refer to them regularly to enhance your understanding of the issues. You can also watch feature films and documentaries to expand your perspective.
- Pinpoint your passion. Think about news stories you’ve read or times you’ve witnessed an injustice. Jot down one or two issues that come to mind and consider how you feel about them. What do you know about it? What do you want to know? Share your thoughts and have informed conversations about these important issues with others.
- Set a goal. Write down what you want to accomplish or how you can make an impact. Then consider how you can make it simpler and stronger. Having a concise purpose will make it easier to follow through on your goal.
- Tell your story. What makes you care about this cause? Caring is contagious — especially when you share a personal story about why you’re passionate about it.
- Engage others to get involved. How can you influence others to support the cause and contribute their own time and energy toward it? Whether it’s a small group of friends, your family or your entire department at AECOM, think about opportunities to share your passion and encourage others to join you in being a champion for human rights.
Learn more about AECOM’s Environmental, Social and Governance strategy.